Go Back   GeekChat! > ELECTRIC GUITAR > Stompboxes

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.13.07, 12:32 PM

karl is on a distinguished road
where does the boss ns2 go in fx chain?

i havet got an fx loop got a fender blue junior, (great amp) im worried about the delay and the modulation

analog sunface (on the way)
crybaby wah modded ( on the way)
mxr dynacomp
colorsound overdriver
rat 2 cool mod by berarduur
big muff nyc
boss ge7 (on the way)
mxr phase 90
boss dd6

boss ns2 (on the way)

Old 03.13.07, 1:04 PM

Mike_Muse_Rage is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine always worked best in front of any distortion pedals, don't ask me how or why, it just did. I suggest you try it in every possible place in your chain, it varies with setup to setup; there's no defining place to put it.
Danelectro EQ>EHX Nano Small Stone>Ibanez FL9>Arion SCH-1>Danelectro Tremolo>Boss DD-6>BBE Sonic Stomp
Peavey ValveKing Head (with custom footswitch) and Marshall JCM 900 1936 2x12 cab

Rig Thread
Old 03.13.07, 2:28 PM

gibsonplyr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to gibsonplyr1
As a previous "Geek" has stated, there is no exact science to where to place the NS2. However, I believe that due to the intensity of the gate, it is best to place your louder dirt boxes, or loud pedals in its effects loop. If you look below at my Tag you will see that I have a Loop-Master, and I actually run the NS2 both in and outside of my second loop. I would definetly use the loop chain of the NS2 for superior results.

Pedalboard:
In>TU2>EHX Small Stone>
PH3>PS5>Loop Master
Loop 1>Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah>Ernie Ball VP Jr.>
Loop 2>NS2>Send>BF2>CE5>Proco Rat Original LM308 Circuit>
Loop Master Out>BD2 Mod>Maxon OD>NS2 Return>Line 6 FM4>Carl Martin Red Repeat Delay>DD20
NYC Pedalboards: Big Shot
Power: Dunlop Power Brick

Off Board: Fender Blender, SD Tweak Fuzz, Exp.Pedal(s), Ibanez LF7, Rack):Korg DRV-1000, Furman PL8II, Shure ULXS (UHF Wireless),OC2, EBow, MXR 10-band EQ, Fulltone OCD, Boss RC20 XL, and many more!

Amps: Marshall TSL602, Fender Tweed Jr. NOS, Marshall JCM 800, B52 AT100Triple Retifier, Marshall JCM 800 Cab-Vintage 30's, VoxAC30CC2X,

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gibsonpylr1/Pedalboard001.jpg
Old 03.13.07, 10:42 PM

LowLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to LowLife
to start off, i would put it before or after the GE-7. probally almost always before the delay though.

4 Sale/Trade

Vox 847 wah - $70.00
prices include PP/Shipped to U.S.

Looking for
- fuzz pedals
- open to other trades

Wanted
- Fuzz pedals
Old 03.14.07, 11:57 AM

cheers guys

how do you mean use the loop?
i have a fender blues junior and theres only one input
Old 03.15.07, 2:29 AM

gibsonplyr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to gibsonplyr1
The NS2 has a built in loop. What this allows you to do is create a suppressed "loop" of pedals so that when the NS2 is engaged only the pedals running through the send and receive of the NS2 are affected. Rather than having all of your pedals or tone noise gated, like if you were to merely run your signal through the "in" jack and out the "out" jack. There is a description in the manual. Again, see my tag for a users map.

EX:

I might setup your baord with the phaser, then the NS2.
Connect the Phase to the "'IN" of the NS2.
Connect a cable from the send to your loop.
I would put the Wah, Rat, Muff, and OD'er in the loop.
Then connect a cable from the last pedal (in this example the OD'er) to the receive of the NS-2.
Finally connect a cable to the "OUT" of the NS2 and continue to your delays.

This way only noisy pedals are affected by the suppression and not the more quite Phase 90 or your delays.

Cheers Mate!

Pedalboard:
In>TU2>EHX Small Stone>
PH3>PS5>Loop Master
Loop 1>Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah>Ernie Ball VP Jr.>
Loop 2>NS2>Send>BF2>CE5>Proco Rat Original LM308 Circuit>
Loop Master Out>BD2 Mod>Maxon OD>NS2 Return>Line 6 FM4>Carl Martin Red Repeat Delay>DD20
NYC Pedalboards: Big Shot
Power: Dunlop Power Brick

Off Board: Fender Blender, SD Tweak Fuzz, Exp.Pedal(s), Ibanez LF7, Rack):Korg DRV-1000, Furman PL8II, Shure ULXS (UHF Wireless),OC2, EBow, MXR 10-band EQ, Fulltone OCD, Boss RC20 XL, and many more!

Amps: Marshall TSL602, Fender Tweed Jr. NOS, Marshall JCM 800, B52 AT100Triple Retifier, Marshall JCM 800 Cab-Vintage 30's, VoxAC30CC2X,

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gibsonpylr1/Pedalboard001.jpg
Old 03.15.07, 5:44 AM

hairychris444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Muse_Rage
Mine always worked best in front of any distortion pedals, don't ask me how or why, it just did. I suggest you try it in every possible place in your chain, it varies with setup to setup; there's no defining place to put it.
True.

I have mine at the front of my chain, mainly because I don't really have any noisy pedals, although I've just added a TS so I may have to change.

When using distortion pedal into clean amp, I used the NS's loop to put my boxes in as I didn't use any modulation.

FWIW, I really should set mine up so that I fix it into the loop of my amp, but:

1) I'm lazy
2) I don't want 2 extra cables between my pedal board & amp
3) Dual Rec's loop is parallel...

NS-2 is a great pedal - and my longest serving - but experimenting is a must.

Blackmachine B7 Camphor Burl w/BKPs
Blackmachine B2 Snakewood w/BKPs
Boss NS-2/Ibanez TS-9 (****ogman 808 Mod)/Ibanez AD-9/Boss TU-2/
Diezel Einstein Prototype
-> Framus Dragon 4x12

+ Lots of other crap is sitting around my flat!

I make noises using this stuff
Old 03.15.07, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hairychris444
True.

I have mine at the front of my chain, mainly because I don't really have any noisy pedals, although I've just added a TS so I may have to change.

When using distortion pedal into clean amp, I used the NS's loop to put my boxes in as I didn't use any modulation.

FWIW, I really should set mine up so that I fix it into the loop of my amp, but:

1) I'm lazy
2) I don't want 2 extra cables between my pedal board & amp
3) Dual Rec's loop is parallel...

NS-2 is a great pedal - and my longest serving - but experimenting is a must.
Don't put it in the effects loop, it's really not worth it. Sure, it gets rid of all the noise, but at the cost of sustain. Try putting it last in your chain, right before your amp: that's the best way to get rid of amp distortion noise. Well, that's what works best for me.
Danelectro EQ>EHX Nano Small Stone>Ibanez FL9>Arion SCH-1>Danelectro Tremolo>Boss DD-6>BBE Sonic Stomp
Peavey ValveKing Head (with custom footswitch) and Marshall JCM 900 1936 2x12 cab

Rig Thread
Old 03.16.07, 6:32 AM

hairychris444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Muse_Rage
Don't put it in the effects loop, it's really not worth it. Sure, it gets rid of all the noise, but at the cost of sustain. Try putting it last in your chain, right before your amp: that's the best way to get rid of amp distortion noise. Well, that's what works best for me.
I wasn't planning to. Where it is does me, to be honest. I can only get rid of the slight buzz that I have by switching to clean. Anyway, I have my tuner at the end of the chain & can mute using that.

I suppose that I could rearrange the order to TS-9/808 -> NS-2 -> TU-2 -> AD-9 but that's splitting hairs!

Blackmachine B7 Camphor Burl w/BKPs
Blackmachine B2 Snakewood w/BKPs
Boss NS-2/Ibanez TS-9 (****ogman 808 Mod)/Ibanez AD-9/Boss TU-2/
Diezel Einstein Prototype
-> Framus Dragon 4x12

+ Lots of other crap is sitting around my flat!

I make noises using this stuff
Old 03.16.07, 10:25 AM

JoeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all

Ok, there is only one correct way to use the NS2, and thats via it's own loop...... putting it at the end of your chain is a waste of time, likewise putting it in the amp fx loop.

I should add that the NS2 will affect your tone. It adds a bit of compression and makes the tone a little "harsher".

I lived with this for a few years, but then decided that the loss of tone was not worth the reduction in noise.

Best thing to do is not to use the NS2 at all, but to ensure you have good cables, high quality power supplies and a well shielded guitar
Old 03.16.07, 10:58 AM

what power supply should i go for? i already use georges ls. the only really noise i get is with the compressor and the distortion used together.
Old 03.16.07, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by karl
what power supply should i go for? i already use georges ls. the only really noise i get is with the compressor and the distortion used together.
http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/pedal-power/

Rig Thread
Old 03.18.07, 10:14 AM

mesaboogie6l6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mesaboogie6l6
Re: where does the boss ns2 go in fx chain?

Quote:
i havet got an fx loop got a fender blue junior, (great amp) im worried about the delay and the modulation

analog sunface (on the way)
crybaby wah modded ( on the way)
mxr dynacomp
colorsound overdriver
rat 2 cool mod by berarduur
big muff nyc
boss ge7 (on the way)
mxr phase 90
boss dd6

boss ns2 (on the way)

I see your NS2 is on the way, you will get a better understanding how to use the product once you've read the instruction manual, and use the recommended setup for your situation. Always read the manual, the manufacturer knows the product more than the people on this board, I can not say this enough, if people would read the provided literature, they could experiment and troubleshoot more on their own.

This is the rule for ANYTHING you buy, if you didn't make it, read the frikkin manual.
Gibson Explorer, Mesa Mark III Series 300 (Coliseum), Mesa 4x12 standard slant and straight with V30, Boss TU-2, NS-2, CH-1, Aphex guitar Exciter, Monster Cables, D'addario EXL140 strings, Jim Dunlop straplocks, Jim Dunlop JazzIII picks, Eurotubes supplied by JJ Electronics, Furman PL plus II
Old 03.18.07, 11:21 AM

Quote:
cheers guys

how do you mean use the loop?
i have a fender blues junior and theres only one input

Do not connect delay or reverb effects between the send and return( the loop on the NS2) Connect them between the NS2 and your amp.

Guitar to NS2 input> NS2output>inputdelay,( reverb, modulation,) outputdelay> amp input.

Use the loop on the NS2 for the other effects like distortion, compression....
Gibson Explorer, Mesa Mark III Series 300 (Coliseum), Mesa 4x12 standard slant and straight with V30, Boss TU-2, NS-2, CH-1, Aphex guitar Exciter, Monster Cables, D'addario EXL140 strings, Jim Dunlop straplocks, Jim Dunlop JazzIII picks, Eurotubes supplied by JJ Electronics, Furman PL plus II
Old 03.18.07, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibsonplyr1
The NS2 has a built in loop. What this allows you to do is create a suppressed "loop" of pedals so that when the NS2 is engaged only the pedals running through the send and receive of the NS2 are affected. Rather than having all of your pedals or tone noise gated, like if you were to merely run your signal through the "in" jack and out the "out" jack. There is a description in the manual. Again, see my tag for a users map.

EX:

I might setup your baord with the phaser, then the NS2.
Connect the Phase to the "'IN" of the NS2.
Connect a cable from the send to your loop.
I would put the Wah, Rat, Muff, and OD'er in the loop.
Then connect a cable from the last pedal (in this example the OD'er) to the receive of the NS-2.
Finally connect a cable to the "OUT" of the NS2 and continue to your delays.

This way only noisy pedals are affected by the suppression and not the more quite Phase 90 or your delays.

Cheers Mate!

That's what I meant, yup, try that one.