Go Back   GeekChat! > ACOUSTIC GUITAR > Unplug It

Reply

Share/Bookmark

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.27.04, 3:47 PM
i_finlayson37's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 6,675
i_finlayson37 is an unknown quantity at this point
12 String Pickups

I've got a 12 String Ibanez with no pickups and I've been considering putting in an acoustic pickup.

Do you have to buy special 12 String Pickups or can the usual 6 String ones be used?

Can anybody recommend any reasonably good ones? Nothing too expensive because I don't use the guitar enough to really support splashing out on expensive pickups.
__________________
MXR Phase 45 -> Digitech Hot Rod -> Digitech Whammy4 -> Lovetone Doppelganger -> AKAI Headrush -> EHX Holy Grail -> Marshall MG 30DFX

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05.27.04, 5:47 PM
cubby's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Over there...
Posts: 7,974
cubby is on a distinguished road
Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by i_finlayson37
I've got a 12 String Ibanez with no pickups and I've been considering putting in an acoustic pickup.

Do you have to buy special 12 String Pickups or can the usual 6 String ones be used?

Can anybody recommend any reasonably good ones? Nothing too expensive because I don't use the guitar enough to really support splashing out on expensive pickups.
Just normal 6-string p'ups - but you need to find something that complements the shimmer. Personally if I were going to replace pickups for a 12-string I would choose between these two:

Humbucker rout - TV Jones TV'Tron Plus and TV'Tron

Strat single - Seymour Duncan Alnico II

IMO the Alnico II is the nicest single coil made by Seymour Duncan - not too bright but very sweet sounding. The TV Jones would probably make for a nice, shimmery 12-string. I haven't tried out the TV'Tron for myself yet but I'm considering putting one in my Tele (neck) to see how I like it.
__________________
Pics of my stuff are available here:

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05.27.04, 6:40 PM
nobody's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,404
nobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by cubby
Humbucker rout - TV Jones TV'Tron Plus and TV'Tron

Strat single - Seymour Duncan Alnico II

IMO the Alnico II is the nicest single coil made by Seymour Duncan - not too bright but very sweet sounding. The TV Jones would probably make for a nice, shimmery 12-string. I haven't tried out the TV'Tron for myself yet but I'm considering putting one in my Tele (neck) to see how I like it.

I assume he has an acoustic 12 -string, because this is in the acoustic guitar forum. None of those pickups would work too well.
__________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
- Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.27.04, 7:53 PM
Rock A My Soul's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,125
Rock A My Soul is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rock A My Soul
Assuming that a regular six-string pickup will work, I have a Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus soundhole single-coil pickup. It's cheap, sticks right in the soundhole with no modifications, sounds nice. I just recently dug it up when I restrung the acoustic I had been using for (I set it up for slide and tuned it to open D), and was pleasantly surprised by the great sound I got.
__________________
-Martin
Quote:
GuitarGeek: Why play guitar when you can talk about it?
A Man, A Plan, A Canal featuring my equipment and songs

Fender Jazzmaster/Univox Rickenbacker 360-12 copy/reissue Danelectro U2 -> Zoom Ultra Fuzz, Boss TU-2, Ibanez DE-7, Digitech PDS 2000, Boss DD-20 -> Fender Ultimate Stereo Chorus/Gibson Discoverer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.27.04, 9:33 PM
cubby's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Over there...
Posts: 7,974
cubby is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by nobody
I assume he has an acoustic 12 -string, because this is in the acoustic guitar forum. None of those pickups would work too well.
D'oh!

Well the same still holds true - same type of pickups whether soundhole or piezo I believe. I've never seen a 12-string piezo pickup at least.
__________________
Pics of my stuff are available here:

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.27.04, 9:47 PM
i_finlayson37's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 6,675
i_finlayson37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by nobody
I assume he has an acoustic 12 -string, because this is in the acoustic guitar forum. None of those pickups would work too well.
Yeah it's an acoustic 12 String

So assuming 6 String Pickups work on 12 Strings too can anyone suggest any good shimmery acoustic pickups that still have some low end?
__________________
MXR Phase 45 -> Digitech Hot Rod -> Digitech Whammy4 -> Lovetone Doppelganger -> AKAI Headrush -> EHX Holy Grail -> Marshall MG 30DFX

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.27.04, 9:50 PM
i_finlayson37's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 6,675
i_finlayson37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Rock A My Soul
Assuming that a regular six-string pickup will work, I have a Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus soundhole single-coil pickup. It's cheap, sticks right in the soundhole with no modifications, sounds nice. I just recently dug it up when I restrung the acoustic I had been using for (I set it up for slide and tuned it to open D), and was pleasantly surprised by the great sound I got.
Are you using a Preamp with that?
__________________
MXR Phase 45 -> Digitech Hot Rod -> Digitech Whammy4 -> Lovetone Doppelganger -> AKAI Headrush -> EHX Holy Grail -> Marshall MG 30DFX

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05.27.04, 10:32 PM
Rock A My Soul's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,125
Rock A My Soul is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rock A My Soul
Quote:
Originally posted by i_finlayson37
Are you using a Preamp with that?
Nope. I was just playing it like this: pickup -> Fabtone -> Digidelay -> amp. I was able to pretty much keep the same settings I use for my Jazzmaster, except I think I might have turned the amp's treble down a hair. Very little feedback, if any, while clean, obviously quite a bit of feedback when I had the Fabtone on but that's to be expected.

I don't know what other aftermarket options there are, but I'd say you're best off going with something that doesn't have a preamp and then get a seperate EQ pedal (one that can boost level). That way, you can use the EQ for other things, as opposed to spending more money on a preamp that you can only use on that acoustic.
__________________
-Martin
Quote:
GuitarGeek: Why play guitar when you can talk about it?
A Man, A Plan, A Canal featuring my equipment and songs

Fender Jazzmaster/Univox Rickenbacker 360-12 copy/reissue Danelectro U2 -> Zoom Ultra Fuzz, Boss TU-2, Ibanez DE-7, Digitech PDS 2000, Boss DD-20 -> Fender Ultimate Stereo Chorus/Gibson Discoverer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05.27.04, 10:53 PM
i_finlayson37's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 6,675
i_finlayson37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Rock A My Soul
Nope. I was just playing it like this: pickup -> Fabtone -> Digidelay -> amp. I was able to pretty much keep the same settings I use for my Jazzmaster, except I think I might have turned the amp's treble down a hair. Very little feedback, if any, while clean, obviously quite a bit of feedback when I had the Fabtone on but that's to be expected.

I don't know what other aftermarket options there are, but I'd say you're best off going with something that doesn't have a preamp and then get a seperate EQ pedal (one that can boost level). That way, you can use the EQ for other things, as opposed to spending more money on a preamp that you can only use on that acoustic.
A seperate EQ would be good to adjust the treble and boost the bass.

Those Promag Plus's look pretty good, I'll send Dean Markley an E-Mail and ask them if it'll work on a 12 String.
__________________
MXR Phase 45 -> Digitech Hot Rod -> Digitech Whammy4 -> Lovetone Doppelganger -> AKAI Headrush -> EHX Holy Grail -> Marshall MG 30DFX

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.08.04, 6:35 PM
cin cin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,723
cin is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I used one on my 12 string for a while, I sold it though cause it just didn't have the clarity I was after.

Check out the lrbaggs iBeam pickup.

I'm planning on getting one of the iBeam passives and a para DI, but there are other options of course.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 | Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO
©1993 - 2014 GuitarGeek | All Rights Reserved