Go Back   GeekChat! > ACOUSTIC GUITAR > Unplug It

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05.27.04, 3:47 PM

i_finlayson37 is an unknown quantity at this point
12 String Pickups

I've got a 12 String Ibanez with no pickups and I've been considering putting in an acoustic pickup.

Do you have to buy special 12 String Pickups or can the usual 6 String ones be used?

Can anybody recommend any reasonably good ones? Nothing too expensive because I don't use the guitar enough to really support splashing out on expensive pickups.

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

And here it is Geeked for those with short attention spans:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78610069YGpPVx

Old 05.27.04, 5:47 PM

cubby is on a distinguished road
Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by i_finlayson37
I've got a 12 String Ibanez with no pickups and I've been considering putting in an acoustic pickup.

Do you have to buy special 12 String Pickups or can the usual 6 String ones be used?

Can anybody recommend any reasonably good ones? Nothing too expensive because I don't use the guitar enough to really support splashing out on expensive pickups.
Just normal 6-string p'ups - but you need to find something that complements the shimmer. Personally if I were going to replace pickups for a 12-string I would choose between these two:

Humbucker rout - TV Jones TV'Tron Plus and TV'Tron

Strat single - Seymour Duncan Alnico II

IMO the Alnico II is the nicest single coil made by Seymour Duncan - not too bright but very sweet sounding. The TV Jones would probably make for a nice, shimmery 12-string. I haven't tried out the TV'Tron for myself yet but I'm considering putting one in my Tele (neck) to see how I like it.

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."
Old 05.27.04, 6:40 PM

nobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by cubby
Humbucker rout - TV Jones TV'Tron Plus and TV'Tron

Strat single - Seymour Duncan Alnico II

IMO the Alnico II is the nicest single coil made by Seymour Duncan - not too bright but very sweet sounding. The TV Jones would probably make for a nice, shimmery 12-string. I haven't tried out the TV'Tron for myself yet but I'm considering putting one in my Tele (neck) to see how I like it.

I assume he has an acoustic 12 -string, because this is in the acoustic guitar forum. None of those pickups would work too well.
Old 05.27.04, 7:53 PM

Rock A My Soul is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rock A My Soul
Assuming that a regular six-string pickup will work, I have a Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus soundhole single-coil pickup. It's cheap, sticks right in the soundhole with no modifications, sounds nice. I just recently dug it up when I restrung the acoustic I had been using for (I set it up for slide and tuned it to open D), and was pleasantly surprised by the great sound I got.
A Man, A Plan, A Canal featuring my equipment and songs

Fender Jazzmaster/Univox Rickenbacker 360-12 copy/reissue Danelectro U2 -> Zoom Ultra Fuzz, Boss TU-2, Ibanez DE-7, Digitech PDS 2000, Boss DD-20 -> Fender Ultimate Stereo Chorus/Gibson Discoverer
Old 05.27.04, 9:33 PM

cubby is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by nobody
I assume he has an acoustic 12 -string, because this is in the acoustic guitar forum. None of those pickups would work too well.
D'oh!

Well the same still holds true - same type of pickups whether soundhole or piezo I believe. I've never seen a 12-string piezo pickup at least.

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthrea...659#post581659

"I'm not usually a praying man but-Save me Superman!"

"I think I brained my damage."

"O.K. brain, I don't like you and you don't like me. Let's just get this over with and I'll go back to killing you with beer."
Old 05.27.04, 9:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: 12 String Pickups

Quote:
Originally posted by nobody
Yeah it's an acoustic 12 String

So assuming 6 String Pickups work on 12 Strings too can anyone suggest any good shimmery acoustic pickups that still have some low end?

Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

Old 05.27.04, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock A My Soul
Assuming that a regular six-string pickup will work, I have a Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus soundhole single-coil pickup. It's cheap, sticks right in the soundhole with no modifications, sounds nice. I just recently dug it up when I restrung the acoustic I had been using for (I set it up for slide and tuned it to open D), and was pleasantly surprised by the great sound I got.
Are you using a Preamp with that?

Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

Old 05.27.04, 10:32 PM

Rock A My Soul is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rock A My Soul
Quote:
Originally posted by i_finlayson37
Are you using a Preamp with that?
Nope. I was just playing it like this: pickup -> Fabtone -> Digidelay -> amp. I was able to pretty much keep the same settings I use for my Jazzmaster, except I think I might have turned the amp's treble down a hair. Very little feedback, if any, while clean, obviously quite a bit of feedback when I had the Fabtone on but that's to be expected.

I don't know what other aftermarket options there are, but I'd say you're best off going with something that doesn't have a preamp and then get a seperate EQ pedal (one that can boost level). That way, you can use the EQ for other things, as opposed to spending more money on a preamp that you can only use on that acoustic.
A Man, A Plan, A Canal featuring my equipment and songs

Fender Jazzmaster/Univox Rickenbacker 360-12 copy/reissue Danelectro U2 -> Zoom Ultra Fuzz, Boss TU-2, Ibanez DE-7, Digitech PDS 2000, Boss DD-20 -> Fender Ultimate Stereo Chorus/Gibson Discoverer
Old 05.27.04, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock A My Soul
Nope. I was just playing it like this: pickup -> Fabtone -> Digidelay -> amp. I was able to pretty much keep the same settings I use for my Jazzmaster, except I think I might have turned the amp's treble down a hair. Very little feedback, if any, while clean, obviously quite a bit of feedback when I had the Fabtone on but that's to be expected.

I don't know what other aftermarket options there are, but I'd say you're best off going with something that doesn't have a preamp and then get a seperate EQ pedal (one that can boost level). That way, you can use the EQ for other things, as opposed to spending more money on a preamp that you can only use on that acoustic.
A seperate EQ would be good to adjust the treble and boost the bass.

Those Promag Plus's look pretty good, I'll send Dean Markley an E-Mail and ask them if it'll work on a 12 String.

Squier Jazz Bass
Westfield SR383 Acoustic
Ibanez 12-String Jumbo

Old 06.08.04, 6:35 PM

cin is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I used one on my 12 string for a while, I sold it though cause it just didn't have the clarity I was after.

Check out the lrbaggs iBeam pickup.

I'm planning on getting one of the iBeam passives and a para DI, but there are other options of course.