Go Back   GeekChat! > SONGWRITING > Verse-Chorus-Verse

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10.09.07, 8:41 PM

Johnny the Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't have the heart for noise pop anymore...

Okay, this is the most recent song I have recorded. Comments/suggestions?

Myspace

What do you think of the sound / feel? Is it authentic Spaghetti Western? I am pretty pleased with how it sounds, but I recorded it less than an hour ago so my opinions are warped...

I know it is repetitive. It's partially what I was going for, but I also had big plans for whistling and a second guitar part that I just couldn't make fit. The main riff is a loop, and I only have a five second looper. Also, I don't currently own a bass or an acoustic guitar so I'm limited to only one guitar (a Strat). But hey, repetitive is part of the genre! Lemme know what you think!

Old 10.10.07, 4:55 AM

Fat Controller is an unknown quantity at this point
Given your limitations, I thought it was pretty fun!

My comment:

If you were going for Spaghetti Western, I think it could use more "air", either by:

1) adding more reverb

2) turning that one-note trem bend into a slowly tremed-out chord.

Chris
'62 Jazzmaster Reissue (MIA, sunburst)/Gibson 335 (cherry)> tu-2> super hard-on> barge concepts bb jr.> keeley AD-9> lo-fi loop junky> vintage space echo re-150> Orange Tiny Terror/Avatar 1x12(G12H "hellatone")

band: http://www.myspace.com/thievesonholiday

beer: http://www.furthermorebeer.com
Old 10.10.07, 7:28 AM

bad smell is an unknown quantity at this point
It went on repetitively for a while, but the solo guitar that comes in later fixed that a bit. I think you should keep trying to get the rest of the sounds you wanted to fit. It's a nice change.
Originally posted by Matthew17: When he's asleep, slap your penis into his face and scream "SHUT IT UP WITH THE ****ING GUITAR". It'll work, trust me.

Originally posted by underthesun: it's true. If you open up that amp, you will find more of a rat's nest than if you actually opened up a nest inhabited by rats.

Originally posted by shinedownrocker: ...it sound like bees ****ing. Why cant it never sound right?

Originally posted by Vamplifier: hauling the amp back to shop is the last thing I want to do. And I don't trust people, I feel like the dumb blonde trophy wife at the auto mechanic.

Originally posted by RadioElectric: I've used my girlfriend's hand as a capo once in a music shop but I never really explored beyond there.
Old 10.10.07, 11:48 AM

robomantik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to robomantik
definitely more reverb on the main riff.
Old 10.10.07, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Controller
Given your limitations, I thought it was pretty fun!

My comment:

If you were going for Spaghetti Western, I think it could use more "air", either by:

1) adding more reverb

2) turning that one-note trem bend into a slowly tremed-out chord.

Chris
When I re-record it, I am going to run the reverb BEFORE the loop so I can adjust how much goes on each part. To add any more reverb to the main riff made it muddy, but I would have liked more on the bends and the slide part. The Em chord bend is a great idea, thanks for that! It never even occurred to me. I'm considering putting in some lazily brushed drums as well, I'm gonna record them and see how it sounds... If I can find my brushes.
Old 10.10.07, 3:56 PM

ultraluxe is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Fat Controller, turn that single note into a full chord whammy-down.

I would also get to that "solo" part just a little bit sooner. the song tends to drag a little bit too long before it comes in. repetition is good, but not if you let it go too long without something else happening.

something else to add to the interest of the solo would be to work that whammy-down chord in at certain spots, to accent the end of a particular phrase, if that makes sense. especially if you hit it sort of forcefully and it drove up the volume a little, for emphasis.
I like it though, it reminds me a little of a song called "after dark" by Tito & Tarantula. if you've seen the movie "From Dusk Till Dawn", it's the song that Salma Hayek does her snake dance striptease to.
Old 10.10.07, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraluxe

something else to add to the interest of the solo would be to work that whammy-down chord in at certain spots, to accent the end of a particular phrase, if that makes sense. especially if you hit it sort of forcefully and it drove up the volume a little, for emphasis.
I know exactly what you mean, that's actually initially how I wrote the riff. I'm really considering splitting guitar up into several tracks to make that possible to do - this was my first real experiment with a slide, and using a Bic lighter doesn't lend itself particularly well to working in chords. Open tunings are always a possibility, but I seriously hate retuning guitars, man...

To tame the repetition in the middle, I am really looking to introduce some slinky drum licks (mic'ing the room and playing lazily, with brushes) to see how that works. Saxophone, distant disconnected and meandering, is also something I want to try.

If nothing compliments the song in a way I love, I may just edit out another minute or two - in it's original form, the song was over seven minutes long. Another minute or so won't destroy it!

Last edited by Johnny the Boy; 10.10.07 at 8:42 PM.
Old 10.10.07, 8:40 PM

Okay, added a lead guitar part, centered, and drums in the way right channel.

I'm pleased with the lead, the vibrato really adds something. I wanted tremolo but the Wiggler was robbing alot of much needed low end from my signal. I find the Looz setting is usually a bit bass heavy, but with the lead pickup it got me exactly what I wanted so hooray!

The drums are basically me getting lazy and a little jazzy? Not too jazzy, but noodley and kinda disconnected. Saxophone is out. As an instrument, it is very prominent and it tends to sit in the forefront, unless you start multitracking and chorusing it = too many tracks. Also, I haven't played it for a while and my technique/tone is not up to par.

PS: Today I finally got my Calamine cd's in the mail, and there was a jawbreaker in the parcel! Julie and co. single handedly made my day a little brighter, and a little less stressful.

Last edited by Johnny the Boy; 10.10.07 at 9:18 PM.
Old 10.11.07, 8:02 AM

bad smell is an unknown quantity at this point
That vibrato sounds like it was made to be there, fits perfectly. The drums were quiet so they never really got in the way of anything. I liked the wammy-ed chord addition.

Could you add in a little trumpet and/or whistling/amient vocals part in the middle before the guitar solo? Keep it drenched in reverb and set really low in the mix.
Originally posted by Matthew17: When he's asleep, slap your penis into his face and scream "SHUT IT UP WITH THE ****ING GUITAR". It'll work, trust me.

Originally posted by underthesun: it's true. If you open up that amp, you will find more of a rat's nest than if you actually opened up a nest inhabited by rats.

Originally posted by shinedownrocker: ...it sound like bees ****ing. Why cant it never sound right?

Originally posted by Vamplifier: hauling the amp back to shop is the last thing I want to do. And I don't trust people, I feel like the dumb blonde trophy wife at the auto mechanic.

Originally posted by RadioElectric: I've used my girlfriend's hand as a capo once in a music shop but I never really explored beyond there.
Old 10.13.07, 12:23 PM

I dug up an old fingering chart, but I haven't played the trumpet for almost two years. Hopefully if I practice enough, I'll throw in a trumpet part and give it a bit of a climax in the middle. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
Old 10.13.07, 3:05 PM

Fuzzhead is on a distinguished road
I like it! Maybe add something in there for ambiance. Maybe set up a mic in the middle of the room and walk around, open doors and do mundane things, but add tons of reverb in it to make it sound weird and distant. I dunno, that's just my idea. Good job, though.

Bandcamp page: "Foundation" EP available now!
Ye olde Myspace

"Punk is whatever we make it to be." - D. Boon
Old 10.13.07, 4:55 PM

head_cold is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought it was pretty cool.

+1 for a whistling part.
Old 10.21.07, 1:57 PM

Whistling wouldn't fit, I can't get it to work. Fuzzhead - the ambiance idea was neat, but there was too much hum. All I've got is an SM-57, and in order to get the sounds at a useable level I have to take the input impedance as low as it will go and then boost the recorded signal in post, and it just hisses like nothing else. Bummer!

Today, I added a second song, in the same vein. I want to increase the overall volume and mix the drums higher, I don't know why the drums are so quiet because they were alot louder when I was listening to the mixdown on the 788... Anyhow, let me know what you think!

www.myspace.com/catfromtelegraphhill