Go Back   GeekChat! > SONGWRITING > Verse-Chorus-Verse

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09.12.04, 5:02 PM

Uldrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Guitar to Piano Arrangements

Well, as some of you might know, I'm a U2 fan. Currently I'm trying to make some piano arrangements of some U2 songs. With or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Both are great ballads.

The problem I have is I'm green to arranging music, and I don't know a whole lot about it. I've been playing piano for about 9 years, so I don't really have any problems with chords and stuff like that, but I tend to repeat one phrase too often.

If there's anyone that has ever done anything like arranging songs like this into piano type stuff, please help me out.

7watt amp of some kind

Fender Princeton 65 w/ Effects (Chorus,Flange,Reverb,Tremolo,Delay and Vibrato)

Old 09.19.04, 1:37 PM

Colder_rythm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Colder_rythm
as a pianist you have acess to chords that are impossible to play on guitar as well as the ability to play two completly differernt parts at once

before continuing i will state two things
1)not all things that sound good on guitar will sound good on piano
2)im not a u2 fan(i have no idea what songs your talking about)

now those two things said

for lead guitar parts: keep them where they are or you could try making it into a harmony

for rythm guitar: for bar chrods try breaking them up into different parts(its probly a good idea to try to maintain the melody of the song)

for the bass parts: make it into chords and dont play in the rythm that the bass plays. id say just let it ring. you can ignore some of the notes if you want to.

just an idea from a terrible pianist
Old 09.21.04, 11:32 AM

exit assasin is an unknown quantity at this point
This is strange, I was just thinking about piano arrangements for guitar last night, and I came to the conclusion that I would have to tune the guitar diferently, but I don't know how.

I was thinking about tuning the bottom three strings to the bass notes used most often in the song, meaning that the bass notes can be played without having to fret anything. Then I would tune the top three strings either a whole tone apart or to the main treble notes of the song. I haven't tried this yet, but maybe it would work.

EDIT: sorry I just realised that you werent trying to arrange the piano pieces for guitar. But still Ill leave the post here because it might be helpful to someone
Old 10.08.04, 1:32 PM

Uldrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I was wondering how good bass chords would sound. I like the idea of adding harmonies with the right hand, by the way. I made the song have a little bit of a minor sound in the middle of one phrase, because the whole song sounds major.

7watt amp of some kind

Fender Princeton 65 w/ Effects (Chorus,Flange,Reverb,Tremolo,Delay and Vibrato)