Go Back   GeekChat! > SONGWRITING > Verse-Chorus-Verse

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09.24.05, 10:13 AM

guitarose is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! What do you do everyday?

I'm curious as to what people actually play on a day to day basis.

I've found that when I'm playing, I come out with various chord progressions randomly. For the rest of my time, i learn other bands songs, or aimlessly noodle around on my guitar.

I can't, nor have any desire to shred (just not my thing), so don't spend much time on technique.

So I find that at times it gets a little dry, even though when I'm in the mood, there is nothing more enjoyable. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions from there own experience as to what I should do.

Thanks for listenin to my ramble.

PS, if any1 has any tips on writing lyrics, plz come forth

Old 09.25.05, 11:23 PM

michael-callari is an unknown quantity at this point
I noodle, mostly. Sometimes I listen to songs and try to learn them, or get tabs. For the past two days i've been playing in Drop C tuning, trying to make up riffs for a song. Tommorow I'll piece the song together, and maybe start on lyrics. This song is for my proposed new band Knuckledragger.

Even though I don't always learn anything new, I play guitar EVERY day, even if it's for like 15 minutes.
Old 09.26.05, 4:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, and good luck with the band, but don't you ever find that noodling can eventually get a bit disheartening at times?

Plz guys, more replies.
Old 09.26.05, 8:43 AM

Crestfallen is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a four track and start writing layers of guitar. If you can play bass or sing; even better.

You'll find all sorts of cool stuff, like chords you never thought go together or interesting melody lines.

It help me with my playing tons, hope it helps you!
Old 09.26.05, 8:55 AM

CompadreAlto is an unknown quantity at this point
I just jam for a while and go off that. If my drummer is there we'll jam for about 10-30 min. rest/get high, jam again, we're only a two peice band (The Daeh Top, shameless plug) so that how we get most of our ideas.. Mixing up you're pedals might help. Getting a 4 track is a good idea, i wish mine didn't bust on me because i was just gettin good sounds out of it. Maybe trying a different instrument for a lil bit will spur some creativeness.
Old 09.26.05, 9:15 AM

berarduur is on a distinguished road
Right now I am writing a paper that should be in in about two days.... still 24 pages to go

I keep rest periods in wich I experiment with new sounds, practise my scales a bit, try to remember my bands songs and otherwise just try to shake the walls...... nobody's home.

Quote:
"Berarduur, the self sufficient guitar maan"
"He's Barardurr; he just does"
Technophobia; Analog Audio Solutions; for all your custom builds and mods.
http://technophobia.co.nr/
Old 09.26.05, 9:46 AM

rolin is an unknown quantity at this point
Normally i'll set up a loop and solo over it, playing with dynamics and learning all kinds of new techniques. Sometimes i'll play a lick i like, and it'll turn into a song. But honestly, a looper is an amazing practice tool.
-->
Boss PS-5 Super Shifter > EHX Small Stone (in stereo with Danelectro Tuner) > Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 (modded) > Ibanez CP10 Compressor > Boss BD-2 Blues Driver > Bespeco Volume Pedal > Ibanez DE7 Delay > Digitech XDD Digidelay
-->
Traynor YCV50
Old 09.26.05, 1:18 PM

skip tracer is an unknown quantity at this point
If my wife is home, we'll practice our songs; if not, I'll practice them by myself or play with my pedals looking for new sounds, work on new songs. Or record stuff.
Old 09.28.05, 3:59 AM

Thanks a lot guys. Creastfallen, I kinda like your 4-track idea. Is it just a standard tape based thing? Do you plug into it or mike up to use it, how much is a 4 track, etc? (sorry 4 probably stupidly obvious questions, I've never used a 4-track before )

Also, I've only recently started using any pedals beyond OD/Dist, is it really a huge difference in sound to use different orders.

(also, how do you put ur rig in ur sig. makes it easier than typing it out every time i mention it.)