Go Back   GeekChat! > SONGWRITING > Verse-Chorus-Verse

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11.16.04, 5:48 PM

changefly is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to changefly
How many of you are content to try being a ONE MAN ARMY?

I've been paralyzed by my fear of rejection and sucking for awhile, and I only ever wanted to jam with my close buddies who definitely dont take it as seriously as I do.

Ive bought all the gear I need to record and I keep trying to do it all myself, but I find it to be quite hard to come up with so many ideas.

Do any of you get tired of winging it alone? if so and are in the Chicago area (NW burbs, I dont have a car) contact me, maybe we can work on something.

Fender Twin Reverb (1982) with WEBER Chicago Blues Hi-Power Speakers, 135 watts, Super Clean, Reverb/Tremolo Switch, Modestly worn exterior (cabinet), Groove Tubes installed and a matching quad of moderately used Sovtek 6L6 GCs.

make offer.

pickup local to Bloomington Indiana. (outside Indy)

Old 11.16.04, 6:10 PM

hot_rats! is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hot_rats!
ever wanted to try working on a project over the internet?
Old 11.16.04, 6:20 PM

563 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bands are like any other relationship. And like most relationships, they do eventually fall apart. It was with that in mind that ages ago I started doing my own thing. I've had at least one solo project going for as long as Ive been in any bands.

Not only is a good way to keep busy between bands, but it allows you to do stuff you might not otherwise do in a more democratic situation.

As for ideas, I'm of the 'follow the muse' school of thought. You cant force ideas. Take those times to just practice. Practice improvising with cds, practice scales, whatever.

It can get boring playing by yourself for sure. Having other people around is a great way to get fresh ideas. So keep looking for the right band, keep jamming with friends, and work on your own in between. Patience, time, practice.

The Luna Moth
The DOD
The Acoustic Black Widow
Old 11.16.04, 7:23 PM

pantsoptional is an unknown quantity at this point
i like being primarily solo.

i love playing with groups, but matching levels of committment can be problematic.

a good no-string-attached collaboration is a win-win situation.
Old 11.16.04, 7:33 PM

b.scott is an unknown quantity at this point
Changefly,

I go through a lot of the same stuff you are, have bought the recording gear, and have struggled to come up with ideas. I go to the University of Illinois but travel home to Glen Ellyn on holidays... What kind of music do you want to play? Where are you? How old are you?
Old 11.16.04, 8:45 PM

Sinthoriumfront is an unknown quantity at this point
what town?

I used to live in the NW suburbs in Mundelein & Vernon Hills(rite by libertyville)
Old 11.16.04, 9:38 PM

Death99K is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to make a whole heap of solo music but I cant sing for **** and I need a drummer to give me a kick and help with inspiration...

Ibanez AS83VLS, (10-56 C#)
Ibanez RG320QS, DiMarzio Tone Zone in bridge, (12-60 C#)
Boss GE-7 (Japanese), Boss MT-2 (Modded, ToneJam), Boss CE-2 (Modded), Boss DD-20
Ashton GA100H + GQ200

WANTED: Boss NS-2
Old 11.16.04, 9:43 PM

screamingdaisy is on a distinguished road
I'm definatly not the solo type.

I can pull riffs out of my ass all the time, but a rhythm player all by himself is just plain boring....(and I'm a horrible singer).

Besides, even though I can come up with lots of riff ideas, I'm often stuck looking for a direction to take it, hence why I'd like the chance to start collaborating.

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab
Old 11.16.04, 10:49 PM

slc_dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to slc_dan
I'm KINDA a one man army, and have been in the past. Things I've found that help

1. DO IT

get off your lazy ass, and do it. I've written a lot of song's about overcoming apathy because of this, but yeah, I guess I'm kinda lazy. setting apart a time of day EVERY day, and yep you guessed it DO IT.

2. have some sort of multitracking unit

if nothing else, get your idea's down. listen to them, sometimes a little riff you were playing with will spark songs and songs and songs.

3. a looper does A LOT

for rehersing, and just getting things together a looper goes a long way.

yep that's what has helped me, hope it can help you. The #1 thing really is to just do it, and do it often.
Old 11.17.04, 6:53 AM

skip tracer is an unknown quantity at this point
I like being alone a lot more than being in a band. I am a disaster if I'm in a band. I'm a total autocrat. I write the songs, record all the parts, and ask everyone to learn their part exactly as I recorded it. But at the same time, I am one of the most passive people you'll ever meet, so I end up bending when people say "no," and just end up miserable.

The way it is now, I do pretty much everything on my own, and get my wife to lay down some vocals or guitar or keyboard if I'm in need of a different angle. Maybe if I could find a drummer who is in another band and wouldn't mind learning my songs for a gig, I'd be happy.
Old 11.17.04, 4:57 PM

coldbuggin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to coldbuggin
both solo and group/collaborative are, imho, essential to being as productive as possible musically. i mean i love to do my own thing, and i grow as an individual performer, but bouncing ideas off of other musicians you RESPECT is more conducive to growth IMO. even when i dont agree with my bandmates, i know that i am currently a much better player, even individually, because i've beene exposed to them and their points of view.
Old 11.17.04, 5:52 PM

changefly is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to changefly
Im 23, I currently reside in hoffman estates, and my two roomates are total ****heads, I dont have my own room or any privacy and i work at a job for minimal pay. Im struggling to put myself through community college (harper) and survive let alone do what I love.

Im thinking of moving into a practice studio warehouse spot downtown. it wotn have running water or anything for me to cook with, but at least ill be in an environment condusive to playing.

My skills have tapered dramatically since depression has been a huge plaguing aspect in my life, and I just need to move in a new direction that I can be comfortable with. Im probably an average guitar player at best, I learn quick but get bored easily. Im mostly into ambient guitar playing with effects over a solid rhythm section and I might have some decent singing ability. I need some motivation, I hardly smoke weed (maybe once a month) so its not like im a completely lost cause.

My email addy is changefly@yahoo.com hit me up

thanks for the inspiration.

Fender Twin Reverb (1982) with WEBER Chicago Blues Hi-Power Speakers, 135 watts, Super Clean, Reverb/Tremolo Switch, Modestly worn exterior (cabinet), Groove Tubes installed and a matching quad of moderately used Sovtek 6L6 GCs.

make offer.

pickup local to Bloomington Indiana. (outside Indy)
Old 11.21.04, 4:24 AM

Lime is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Lime
not at all i never let it bother me i have a band of 4 VERY commited guys 2 of em are the singers and the others a drummer and me... the other 2 the samplist and bassist vary sometimes there bang on practice some times they aint.. but they will always cram before a gig.. they are happy for me to write everything... i come up with the guitar and bass... then i write the drum lines on a drum machine with sample based software so i can get variations fills and everything... then i find the samples i want and tell the guy kinda what i want like a 70% to 30% colaboration between us.. me being the 70... then i give the melody line... the only thing i cant write is lyrics... but hey i got 2 singers for that...

it brings me down sometimes especially when i have writers block and if i have it the whole band has it if you know what i mean but to be honest its been 5 months now and weve got 7 songs so i cant complain really....
Old 12.07.04, 7:45 AM

ArchII is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd love to make music all by myself as I have heaps of ideas, really currently the only thing holding me back is not haveing the apropriate equiptment such as recording equiptment, drums, and mics. But I will one day. I just need to finish collecting my gear. Yet it is completly diffent playing and writing with others.

ArcH.
Old 12.07.04, 8:27 AM

CompadreAlto is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm with you brother. I'm trying to do it all alone and it's very tough, especially without a drummer. No one in this forsaken little area wants to be original they all want to play hardcore and metalcore and every other core and I just can't take it. So many a**holes especially the drummers.

Basically I've been in three bands and two sank to the depths of no one doing anything except me, the other was just me and my best friend and we just sorta drifted apart in ourt playing styles, plus he moved. It's very, very, very, tough to find people to play music with for me, so that's why I've been doing it by myself for a while now and it's even tougher to do that. I'm very sad that I can't get the sounds in my head to come out of my fingers. But you gotta just keep on going, eventually you hit upon some idea and you can build on it, but it's a very lonely process as I see it.

I need a solid rhythm section not afraid to follow.