Go Back   GeekChat! > SONGWRITING > Verse-Chorus-Verse

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.18.04, 7:20 PM

Vynes is an unknown quantity at this point
Learnin chords help in the song writing process?

Well with the 10 chords i know i can make something but it sounds liek other stuff. Its really hard makin songs out of just power chords cuz thats lame i dont get how people mkae like single note rffs its insane

Old 06.30.04, 12:54 PM

mnemonicspark is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mnemonicspark Send a message via Yahoo to mnemonicspark
Try doing stuff completly different, like dropped tunings. And if all else fails, Suspended chords.
Old 06.30.04, 1:24 PM

squire_1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
If all else fails use traditional progressions,i.e I - IV - V, or I - VI - II -V. then when you have one you like, try changing some chords in the progression, like major or minor or augmented or suspended, or you could try some jazz and put a 13th chord in lol. But if you tried everything just improvise and jam and you end up with something that sounds good.
Old 06.30.04, 1:26 PM

Greyskull is on a distinguished road
Re: Learnin chords help in the song writing process?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vynes
Well with the 10 chords i know i can make something but it sounds liek other stuff. Its really hard makin songs out of just power chords cuz thats lame i dont get how people mkae like single note rffs its insane
Time. It takes time. You need to develope your ear, your hands, and your mind.

I used to be just like you - how do I rock ? How do I create single note riffs ???

Here's what you do....

How's your favorite "riffer" ? Get some tablature (the more accurate, the better, of course), put on the CD, go to the track, and start listening while reading the tab. The just start learnig the song(s) in sections. And play along wth the CD. And listen. And play. And turn it up !!!!

That is pretty much what worked for me....

Greyskull's Rig
Old 06.30.04, 2:24 PM

JPK is an unknown quantity at this point
^that's good for chords as well. Get tabs from artists you like, and try some of the chords in a totally different context. Then try slightly modifying them, like move 1 finger up or down 1 or 2 (or as you wish) frets, or remove one finger or something. I created really cool chords just ****ing around and putting my fingers where it felt right (it's hard to describe, I guess it takes time)

Take my advice for whatever it is, I wouldn't say I'm a very good guitarist and I only know minimal theory, but I think some of my songs kick ass, so
Old 07.17.04, 7:11 PM

string slinger is an unknown quantity at this point
i think im pretty much at the same place as you are now but im just starting to move out of it. what ive been doing is listening to music and picking out sections that sound different to what i can already play then looking for a tab of that song and learning the chords.

doing this has really helped my chord selection alot and has helped to give my songs more mood and feeling

some bands to get you started:

smashing pumpkins
REM
Incubus
Travis
Oasis
Blur
A perfect circle
Hundred reasons

a chord book or chord computer might be useful maybe just learn a chord a day... whatever feels best for you i guess

good luck
Marshall vs100
Boss DS-2 turbo distortion
Boss BF-2 (jap)
Peavey DSC-4 chorus (peavey 3 letter range f**kin rock!)
Old 08.07.04, 11:38 PM

olgluefoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to olgluefoot
go indie on it! we play in dropped D in my indie\rock band.. we all know our theory, but we dont really bother.. just pick a starting note.. and pick out cool sounding notes along the way.. and if your stuck in a runt with sounding the same as everyting else.. the progressions are just as important as what chords you use.. playing 4 chord progressions all the time is gonna sound sterile no matter what chords you use.
Old 09.03.04, 12:02 PM

Amsterdarn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Amsterdarn
Dear god, yes learning chords helps. I picked up a big-arse chord book, and the inspiration can be huge. You just flip through, find a chord you've never heard of (like, say, C#+7(#9)) and play it. A lot of those wierd chords give you a great starting place, especially if you want to play something moody.

Tele

French Toast > Milk Box > Bad Monkey > DD-20

Blues Junior

http://www.purevolume.com/alexbirdsall
Old 09.04.04, 2:49 PM

brassdolphin is an unknown quantity at this point
+1
i own one of the huge mel bay books. it sounds kinda weird but sometimes when i first get home from work and pick up the guitar
i'll open the book up and pick out some very random chord and just strum it. sometimes a whole bunch of ideas will pop up from just one chord..
Old 09.04.04, 2:58 PM

maxx is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to have to say that the best way I get a song started is by picking a key, making a progression, and then playing it a couple times seeing what ideas I can get to build on the progression, be it changing chords to move into a chorus, or when the drum beat will come in, or how loud the first note of the melody will be, anything, other than first starting with the chord progression I have no order to song writing, and I think I've made some pretty decent instrumental songs so far.

Current Gear:
Amps:
Traynor YCV-20 WR-----> Footswitch
OR
Fender Frontman 15----> Boss DS-1 Distortion

Guitars:
1997 Korean Squier Stratocaster
2003 Gibson SG Special Faded
Old 09.04.04, 4:42 PM

Ghosts On TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ghosts On TV
The way i learned chords beyond the basic major-minor chords is by learning to play Radiohead songs. They have very few songs thatuse just the basics, and they rarely use powerchords. Learn songs like bulletproof from the bends or exit music from Ok Computer. That song has something like 12 dif chords, so youre bound to learn something.
Also try making up your own by just shifting your fingers from the basic pattern into something that doesnt sound bad. It wont actually be your own, but, you know. Be original, use your ear, and pretty soon you will be laughing at those 3-chord goonies.

Ibanez Roadmaster (pink) >> Vox v847 Wah >> Digitech Digidelay >> Proco Vintage Rat >> Fender Ultimate Chorus. Period.

looking for: Boss ps-3, Boss RV-3, DOD juicebox, Danelectro DM 25

I like Radiohead, The Beatles, Interpol, Prince, MBV, Devo. Check out my band.
www.purevolume.com/ghostsontv
Old 09.05.04, 11:54 AM

FakePlastic is an unknown quantity at this point
That's really wierd, cause once I started listening to radiohead and learning their songs, I started to stray away from standard rock and do my own thing. Learn "Karma Police", the chords are REALLY simple, and it will give you ideas. Also, picking up a jazz chord book may be of great assistance. There is a book called "Chords" by Joe Pass. Get that book. It will change the way you play guitar. For anyone who has seen the book, please don't spoil the secret of it...

Have no fear though! I just takes time for your ear to be trained. The best thing you can do right now, is listen to a lot of music while your guitar is in your hands. Figure out the rhythm, hum the melody, play the melody, change melody... Many ideas spring from learning chords as well. This may sound odd, but singing the song's different parts will help you learn them MUCH faster. There is plenty that you can be doing to get your ear and hands working together, just don't get discouraged!
Old 09.05.04, 11:57 AM

FakePlastic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you feel adventurous check out the Sonic Youth's album "NYC Ghosts and Flowers". They stay as far away from standard chord progressions as possible.
Old 10.01.04, 4:26 PM

isuck@guitar is an unknown quantity at this point
Learn any of John Frusciante's solo material. Then realise you'll never be able to integrate chords like that into your own playing!
Old 10.25.04, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator

RUSHFANnLV is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RUSHFANnLV
I have a guitar chords poster on my wall where I play. I sometimes just pick one and make up a riff based on that one chord.