Go Back   GeekChat! > SONGWRITING > Verse-Chorus-Verse

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12.18.04, 9:28 PM

thisfall is an unknown quantity at this point
So my style is changing....what about yours?

I've always been a big fan of the massive post-rock sound and my songwriting has always reflected that...big, dramatic and dissonant melodies, long instrumental songs that change and go from soft to hard throughout.

Lately though, I have really been getting in to the prettier side of things, more ethereal, dreamy and toneful. This all started after I saw A Northern Chorus last Saturday, and was the start of my ES 335 obsession. Some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard, by far. I was in awe the whole night.

So who else's style is changing?

It's refelcting in my gear choices too. Less noisy stuff, and more warm/natural sounds.

Band

Old 12.18.04, 9:48 PM

screamingdaisy is on a distinguished road
My style doesn't change, but it's always evolving.

Change is too abrupt a word for me. It kinda says, "I'm done with that, now I'm going to do this."

I'm always going back while I move forward.

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab
Old 12.18.04, 10:47 PM

b.scott is an unknown quantity at this point
Evolution and change are good.

I, on the other hand, feel like I'm in a bad situation: I feel like I don't really have a style. I've got a strong background in rhythm playing, especially acoustic stuff. I've been listening to a lot of post-rock, epic, instrumental kind of stuff (even a lot from around here, Fiveways, The Shadow Project, etc.), but it's not a style 'm really familiar with. It's a bit of a tough learning curve, and I haven't found anyone interested in playing stuff like that, so I have to stumble through it on my own.

do you guys feel like your styles evolve partly though the people you play with? Do you think it helps you evolve faster? Just some thoughts for discussion...
Old 12.18.04, 10:53 PM

screamingdaisy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by b.scott

do you guys feel like your styles evolve partly though the people you play with? Do you think it helps you evolve faster? Just some thoughts for discussion...
I think your style is an evolution of everything you've ever played.

That said, I feel you evolve much faster playing with others. Playing with others means you end up learning stuff that they like, which is stuff that my have never chosen to learn on your own. It's for that reason that I'm starting to seek jam sessions with other players.

Guitar -> Wah -> Amp -> Cab
Old 12.19.04, 11:03 AM

thisfall is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish this was the case! I can't find anyone to jam with PERIOD let alone anyone who is interested in my styles. I did find someone who drums, but he apparently doesn't want to talk with me on MSN/come over on mondays anymore. Meh. I'll find someone else.... and if he wants to be a prick about anything...

I've got his drum machine.

Band
Old 12.21.04, 3:40 PM

TorsteinJN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by screamingdaisy
My style doesn't change, but it's always evolving.

Change is too abrupt a word for me. It kinda says, "I'm done with that, now I'm going to do this."

I'm always going back while I move forward.
Couldn't agree more with this one. Always trying to find "new"-sounding stuff.
Old 12.22.04, 8:25 PM

skip tracer is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently joined a band in the role of lead guitarist, and I find myself playing completely differently than in my own band. This is almost a straight-up pop-rock band, whereas my own stuff is more noisy and experemental.

I'm a lot less busy and I take up less space. Not having to sing lets me concentrate on playing lines that run counter to the vocal melody.
Old 12.30.04, 12:52 PM

Dan the Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man
My lyrical style is changing a bit. My band's first few songs were about World War I, riding horses, and books like 1984. We actually still have a song called Victory Gin. It looks a bit odd compared to our new stuff though. These days, I gravitate towards lyrics that detail what I discover about humanity. There's words about instinct, evil versus good, and other conflict. It's a lot less specific and it's less about feelings, though I'm sure I will get done with this type of lyric after a few songs. Besides, for a band named Euthanasia, these aren't quite fiece enough!

Lyrically or instrumentally, you have to keep all the stuff you've written during little phases, because if you have a lot of songs that sound different while still holding on to your group's natural character, it makes for a better set.
Quote:
Originally posted by CicadaSilence
Atreyu makes me want to kill myself. But if I did that, I'd fall into their target demographic.

You can see my dilemma.
Old 12.30.04, 10:43 PM

times-new-omen is an unknown quantity at this point
change is bad. we fear change.

Last edited by times-new-omen; 02.05.07 at 8:24 PM.
Old 01.06.05, 4:32 PM

CompadreAlto is an unknown quantity at this point
I think as a player I've evolved quite drastically from when I started playing. I started out by not knowing ANYTHING for about a year, so I basically came up with my own way of playing. Now I've learned some more theory and chord progressions and I add that to what I learned in the beginning by just making stuff up. Plus I love trying to get new sounds out of my instruments, whether it be through pedals or technique or things like Ebows and the such. But whatever I do I just want it to be original and reflect myself in it.

I still do play like I don't know how to play sometimes, but that's how you can get some interesting "sonic corrosions" in chords and stuff.
Old 01.06.05, 4:36 PM

doingtheunstuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to doingtheunstuck
i am sitting on the edge of a lot of big changes... unfortunately, all of those big changes rely on specific gear needs and thus money.

i need a four track, a steinberger, a sustainiac, some kind of amp (quite possibly a little modeling unit) and a mic or two.
My gear (updated: 08/11/06)

Good read
Old 01.06.05, 5:57 PM

d y l o n is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by thisfall
I wish this was the case! I can't find anyone to jam with PERIOD let alone anyone who is interested in my styles. I did find someone who drums, but he apparently doesn't want to talk with me on MSN/come over on mondays anymore. Meh. I'll find someone else.... and if he wants to be a prick about anything...

I've got his drum machine.
If you're willing to drive an hour or two, I'm willing to jam