Go Back   GeekChat! > SONGWRITING > Verse-Chorus-Verse

Share/Bookmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05.01.07, 9:25 AM

Charlie_M is an unknown quantity at this point
Where are you guys posting music?

Hi Guys,

Well I've got one song written and recorded and another written and will probably record it this weekend.

I'd like to put it on a website that I can point people to so that they can listen to it and give me any feedback they feel like providing (writing, mix/EQ, performance, etc...).

I'd like it best if people can listen to the song on a built-in player but not download it.

Anything like that out there that is more music-centric (I heard myspace has this capability? I wonder if yahoo does? ).

Thanks.
Current favorite is my home made strat! Candy Apple Red/maple neck/locking trem (FR copy)/White pickguard and pickups/chrome hardware/EVO2 bridge pickup and Breed Neck pickup

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90
Various self made effects

Old 05.02.07, 6:07 AM

jmg is an unknown quantity at this point
Myspace is probably the best place to start, its pretty easy to use and you upload your songs without letting people download them (altough I'd recommend you let them download them)... Others you could check would be purevolume and garage band...

J
Epi Semi Acoustic

T-Rex Bloody Mary
DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
EHX small clone
Artex classic fuzz

Vox 10 watt (so the neighbours dont hate me)
Ampeg Super Rocket

Check out my band:
http://www.myspace.com/twentypercentdead
Old 05.08.07, 2:55 PM

Hey cool thanks I did that and posted my first original song ...

http://www.myspace.com/charliemillersmusic

Vocals need some work ... I'm only 3 voice lessons into what looks like it may be a long journey. Still... it's cool to be able to get yoru ideas out there.

Welcome any feedback on the song, performance, mix, etc...
Current favorite is my home made strat! Candy Apple Red/maple neck/locking trem (FR copy)/White pickguard and pickups/chrome hardware/EVO2 bridge pickup and Breed Neck pickup

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90
Old 05.14.07, 11:18 PM

SFP is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SFP
let your kid sing. he looks like he'd be a maniac.
Old 05.15.07, 3:00 AM

Niels is an unknown quantity at this point
I WAS going to say that I thought the guitar was to distorted and the singing was a bit meh.

BUT

The further I got in the song I realized the 'raw' feeling works really well! I'm really enjoying it actually! And I really like what you've done with the delayed guitar in parts of the song, very nice!

Kudos too you mate

Check out my bands:
Los & The Deadlines
Charlotte Eriksson
What?!
Jo Kelsey
Old 05.15.07, 9:09 AM

Hey thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement.

I've been working on improving the performance aspect a bit over the past week or so. I made a few changes to the track that's posted there now:

1. Main change was to improve and tighten up the timing - especially on the bass track.
2. I left the distortion full on in the delay part but went to more of a crunch in the verse part.
3. I think the vocal performance is improved a little in this one - still not where it needs to be yet but some progress anyway.
4. I think I liked the lead better in the first one but I'll redo that later. I've been spending so much time learning about the recording process, making drum tracks, bass tracks, etc...my lead playing hasn't received the amount of practice I'd like to give it. Will address that once I get through this learning curve on recording.

About the little guy... ya I have no doubt he'll be a wildman when his time comes. Going to be interesting for me as a parent, that's for sure.

Anyway.. I believe the new track is an improvement. Does it seem that way to you guys? Thanks - having feedback from other musicians is really valuable.

Charlie

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90
Old 05.15.07, 11:01 AM

admiralbiscuit is on a distinguished road
what do you use for recording? and have you heard about soundclick.com? It's a great dedicated music site.
Old 05.15.07, 1:05 PM

My mics are pretty modest :

CAD GXL 3000 condensedr mic for vocals

e609 silver dynamic mic for guitar

vocal also goes through n ART tube mic preamp which I also use for the bass buitar which is recorded direct.

soundcard is a digidesign digi002 rack running protools LE

I've been really happy with all this gear. The 002 rack is a great piece of pro quality gear, the tube mic pre is middle of the road but plenty good enough for my needs. The condenser mic is decent enough for my voice ! The e609 silver might be the best mic around for amplified guitar IHMO (it was cheap too!).

I never heard of that site I'll check it ou thankt.

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90
Old 05.16.07, 12:38 PM

jmg is an unknown quantity at this point
I like it... guitar sounds little thin-y to me but thats probably just personal taste. It could probably do with doubling up the vocals in certain parts to push them up front a little more, your voice might lack a little power adding another track could help that.

I like the delay parts and the solo's cool. Good job... keep them coming... I've added you in the myspace.

J
Epi Semi Acoustic

T-Rex Bloody Mary
DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
EHX small clone
Artex classic fuzz

Vox 10 watt (so the neighbours dont hate me)
Ampeg Super Rocket

Check out my band:
http://www.myspace.com/twentypercentdead
Old 05.16.07, 2:36 PM

bennintexas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bennintexas
i was smiling the whole time, thought it was great!!
Old 05.16.07, 4:59 PM

Felice is an unknown quantity at this point
dude, I can definitely dig this. It has a really nice feel to it, chill and grungy.

However, I do thing that guitar sounds a little too.... digital? for lack of a better word.
But keep it goin for sure.
Old 05.16.07, 10:41 PM

Very cool guys I appreciate all the feedback and kind words.

Regarding the guitar sound I agree it is a bit thin... I think I know how to fix that: crank it to get some nice OT distortion going!! But that isn't an option really for me so I may end up having to get an attenutaor or something as another way to get there at reasonable volumes (I'm doing this stuff out in the shed next to our house. It's a pretty nice shed but it's still a shed. Not soundproof or anything. My little JSX would be enough to really get me on the sh&t list with our neighbors in a real hurry if I tried to get OT distortion out of it in the usual way.

Anyway thanks again for feedback, tips, and encouragement. I just reposted an updated mix. I'm trying to learn a lot about mixing in a short time - experimenting with different panning schemes and stuff like that.

Will update as I post new songs and stuff too.

Charlie

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90

Last edited by Charlie_M; 05.17.07 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05.20.07, 8:52 PM

OK minor update today. Finally had some free time to spend on it and worked on some of the timing issues. Still want to redo that lead but the rest of the track sounds better today than it did a week ago so I'm happy about that.

http://www.myspace.com/charliemillersmusic

BTW JMG I went and checked out your myspace page you guys f'n rock! You wouldn't guess it by the stuff I'm writing here but I realy dig the kind of music you guys do. "You're lost" sounded great to me. Keep on man !

Charlie

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90
Old 05.26.07, 5:34 PM

Another update: Completely redid the drum track.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=705651

Would really appreciate feedback/impressions regarding the drum track.

In another forum (mainly focused on recording and mixing, etc...) there was a comment that the old drum track was too repetitive, that it lacked "soul". I agree with the comment and tried to add greater variety in this version, trying to make it sound like a live person played it and threw in different stuff like a real drummer would. Not sure if I went too far, not far enough, maybe missed the point entirely?... Welcome any thoughts.

I'm a guitarist and very new to creating drum tracks (new to singing too... whole other story!) Was looking here for an energetic and driving kind of a feel.

I noticed it sounds better if you download it instead of playing it from soundclick - might just be my machine or internet connection....

Thanks !

Charlie

Peavey JSX 2X12 combo

Efects:
Boss DD-20 delay
MXR phase 90
Old 05.26.07, 8:25 PM

skodt dePram is an unknown quantity at this point
Myspace has probably the widest audience. We've milked it to get gigs and made some decent contacts. There's also a *lot* of crap out there, but it's easy enough to filter once you've gotten the hang of it.

Virb seems to have the *youngest* audience, and also to be growing rapidly. Also, you can stream as many songs & videos as you want. It also seems the Virb player has better sound quality than myspace. We use it as our 'online media kit.'

we use both. We also allow folks to download everything. Thanks to Virb, some folks at our shows we've never met sing along with *every* song.

per the recording stuff:

Overall, I like it. The guitar lead rips, especially at the beginning, and is at the perfect level/place in the mix for a solo. I wanted the rhythm guitar to be a bit more present. I thought the vocals & *maybe* the drums were mixed a tad high & wanted the bass to have more of a home in the piece. You might also try *some* sort of effect on the vocal, even if it's just using a homemade plate to get a quick & sparkly reverb on it. maybe double the rhythm guitar with an acoustic to thicken the song up ...

the drum 'fills' seem a bit overstated, but it works. Near impossible to make a machine feel like an actual drummer. a generous amount of the right reverb helps.

per modest cheapo gear:

we record everything onto a Tascam 424mkiii (ancient cassette 4-track - $100 on eBay). we use a Shure KSM27 ($150 through someone on the inside) & a Behringer B-2 ($100) for mics (+$50 for 2 phantom powers). In the fx loop is a lexicon mx200 ($100 again eBay) set to 'tape delay' and 'vocal plate' & mixed in very minimally, as we 'mic the room.' We mix/master to a $50 mp3 converter directly from the 424.

total cost: $500.
15 minutes worth of good tape (so it doesn't sound quite as 'lo-fi'): $2

worth it? since you're sharing ...

you decide.
Hamer SATF (burstbuckers #1 & #2) -> throbak stone bender fuzz/od -> EH Memory Toy -> Bugera 1960 -> homemade 412 w/V30s.

Last edited by skodt dePram; 05.26.07 at 8:32 PM.